Monday, September 23, 2013

Church #5. Strathcona Presbyterian Church



I see pretty colours :P …… lol.  So this last Sunday was a Presbyterian church as you could have guessed. And upon entrance there is one major thing you notice. SUPER AMAZING BEAUTIFUL STAIN GLASS WORK!  Credit to the person that made the panels in that church, god blessed them with some kick-ass art skills.  But on a less positive note I also noticed the walls, filled with massive cracks, this was my first indication that this church, like many others is at risk of dying. 
As most Sundays, I pick a random bench and end up introducing myself to some sweet little old lady and having a conversation.  Today we had a conversation on what I will refer to as the “dyeing church syndrome” . Because lets be real, that is exactly what is happening to its patrons, and with a lack of a younger generation coming in to the church to refresh the population, it will all be “to dust” as they say.
As our conversation continued I made a point of say there are A LOT of reasons you don’t have a younger generation coming to church.  And I am sure all of you reading this, church go-er or not can think if a long list of your own reasons. But one thing I will throw out there only because I have heard this issue brought up by church leaders themselves is the fight to be progressive. In the past 5 church’s I have been to almost all of the leaders have expressed concerns over their daily struggle to make the sermons more progressive and modern. This at times has met with outrage, from what is generally the most senior population, and in some cases has added to people leaving the church. These leaders are doing their best to hold and progress their church and I pray for them.
The population mix here was similar to most 2 dozen people with the odd young couple and a hand full of children. Well more than a handful at this one. More like 10!
The sermon’s theme today was “you can’t serve god and money” it was an intriguing story from Jesus that she brings up that really doesn’t fit the rest of his teachings (I have my own theories on this). But despite it being a real odd one she found a way to pull a positive moral story out of something that would seem very immoral. Credit for her on that.
We also sung the Lord’s Prayer today (never done that before).  And you know that line that normally says “Forgive us our trespasses and those that have trespassed against us”. When I was singing this thing and they threw out the word “trespass” for “debt, and debtors” ? I asked the reverend afterwards about this and she told me that there is more than one “lord’s prayer” written in the bible and also the bible being re-translated at MILLION times, that word has been swapped put with “debt”, “sins”, “trespass” and many others. She also mentioned to me that they use the “debt” line because it comes for an older version and that this church offers a more “traditional” service…..o god you’re telling me (see angry rant below).
This was defiantly one of those services where I was sitting there gritting my teeth trying not to throw something…. Because there was a lot of “our future is in god’s hands”, “we have no control over gods will”, “we must submit to god” etc. and my only thought is…….
NO FUCKING COMMENT!
So after the service I made my way down stairs to cool down and have a nice cup of tea and awesome homemade cinnamon swirls. Everyone I met was very kind and loving and would have me back any day.  
 This church is like the tea they serve, warm and welcoming, but the flavor is not to my taste.  Thanks guys. Time for me to march forward. *stomp *stomp *stomp.

No comments:

Post a Comment