Thursday, September 12, 2013

Church #2. Unitarian Congregation Westwood



Bring out the party hats and glitter! Here come the Unitarians! :P Now there is a lot of churches out there that say “Everyone Welcome”, but sad to say, that is far from the truth.  These guys literately accept EVERYONE.  People of all faiths, religions, ideas, and ideologies are welcome. This includes, atheists and homosexuals. All of these people are fully welcomed as members, and even leaders of this kind of church. I was also surprised that there is a very strongly based earth spiritually  social group within this church. 
Unfortunately on the day I can it was not much of a regular service but more of a meeting for the start of the season.  Very small little church, right in the middle of a residential street (almost didn’t see the little stinker, and walked right past it) so make sure you keep the full address on you when you go to find this thing.  The demographic of this church ( well from at least who came to the meeting ,) seem to be a lot of seniors and a hand full of young people.  Who were all more than happy to get to know me after the meeting/mini service?  From what I am told, the actual services involve rotating speakers from all different religions and backgrounds. 
Since it is not a 100% Christian community there is no crosses in the church and the community centers itself around what they refer to as the 7 Unitarian principals. Which after reading them, I can understand that they make practical sense for spiritually centering such a diverse community.  I highly enjoyed meeting with churches leader, she was very kind and welcoming and was interested in what I had to say( which is good because I never stop talking some days ).
But I just have to say, the coolest part about Unitarians is their wedding ceremonies!!!! :D  Just in case you didn’t know, you, yes you,   even as a non member of the church can hire a Unitarian leader to do your wedding service in whatever manner you like, including custom made services that blend cultural/religious traditions, and pretty much whatever you wanna throw in your spiritual blender. 
So I left the Unitarians  enthusiastic waves of  joy and worked my way back to my home to hang with my roommates and catch one of the few final episodes of breaking bad…SO INTENSE!!! As much as I love and enjoy the Unitarians I don’t think they are fully for me as I do feel that I need a more fully “Christian” environment to get my spiritual fix. Over all, very cool church. LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! XOXOXO.

No comments:

Post a Comment