Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Church #23 Moravian Church of Edmonton. July 13 2014.



Ok. Let’s do this…

Heading to the church this morning was a bit concerned considering it was one of the hottest forecasted days this year. I knew that there was a string chance that I might sweat to death, but thankfully it wasn’t that bad.

This is one of the few times that I have actually worn a skirt to church in a while, solely on my own choice. I still see a consistent skirt wearing trend amongst women of all ages in the many churches I have seen regardless of age or how traditional they are/or are not. Maybe it has to do with the whole “modesty” thing? Dressing nicely? Excuse to wear a skirt? All I know is that I see it everywhere.

So this is the inside of the church. 



Some very nice quilted banners * round of applause for all the grannies that surely made that possible.

The church had aprox 30 people in it, mostly seniors, and a had few people in their 20’s. No kids this time. But one thing I did notice at the very back was a elderly man who appeared to have some form of developmental disability. He didn’t seem to have very effective speaking skills but was still very friendly, and seemed to be very interested in his Disney Princess book? (or that is at least what it looked like) .



The worship stared and then after one song we were asked to stand up and great our neighbor. I met a peasant middle aged fellow in front of me, he had a purple shirt on and orange rimmed glasses, he said “Hi, my name is Duck!” …..I might have misheard that. I can’t be sure. LOL.

The pastor was vibrant young lady, who spoke well and with great enthusiasm. She also had a slight accent ( I latter discovered that she is originally from North Carolina) In this time I also shook hands with a very tall and thick set man in his early thirties, he introduced himself as “Rebecca’s Husband”. Ps. Rebecca is the name of the pastor.  I noticed that thru the service that she was more than willing to take in his wife’s words as she stood at the front and spoke. He also took the worship very seriously.

Normally in most churches there is some type of a projector screen at the front of the room. Normally displaying the words to songs or the bible passages being read. Well let’s just say today the projector was out of order and we had to do things old school, so there was a lot of flipping pages back and forth between the song book and then the bibles, but it didn’t bother me much. We had a lady that came up and read a poem that she wrote called “Time Marches On.” I felt it was well done.

One of the things I really noticed with this pastor is that she really pushes for this church to interact with the service. I feel it to be a bold move to take on this approach considering that this church was mainly filled with the elderly that were possibly raised in a church were you shut-up and never think for yourself. I know far too well that some old people do not accept change gracefully. She took a chance pushing these seniors slightly out of their comfort zone with the addition of new activities and interactions. And I am happy to report that it all appears to be very positive and highly effective!

One thing that she asked of her congregation today was to think about “all the people you know (and yourselves) with their own personal gifts and how we can encourage them to use those gifts in the community.” Then she had this thing set up. 




So the whole idea is that you meditate on yourself and others and decide how you will act to help put this all in motion. Then you were encouraged to go to the front of the room and take a Dixie cup full of sand and poor it into the vase as your commitment to using your own gifts for the betterment of other and encouraging others to do the same.  The pastor continuing to say “God’s love shapes us our whole lives, from start to finish.”

The bible passage reviewed today was that of the Samaritan woman. You know, the part where she goes to the well in the hot day sun and Jesus asks her for a drink and she is shocked at this because Jew+Samaritan= no interaction EVER. 




And he tells her that if she drinks from this well she will always become thirsty again, but he drinks from his well, she will never be thirsty ever again. All along this lady is putting the puzzle pieces together and starting to think that his guy may be this “messiah” that has been spoken about. Bu here is the thing that you don’t normally hear about, the rest of their conversation. Including the part where Jesus looks at her and says “You have had 5 husbands, and the one you have right now is not your husband.” Holly Hanna! Did not see that coming! I knew that the Samarian woman was “divorced” but I guess there is a bit more to it than that.  I felt this needed a bit more of an in-depth look. A nice link here for your convenience.


After all this we were encouraged to intermingle and discuss our ideas or how to use our personal gifts and how to encourage others. There was a lot of talking but I couldn’t really get a word in. But in my mind that was ok. There was a lady in my group that was talking a lot about having a book club or a book exchange. At one point the pastor came around and handed out sticky notes, for us to write our ideas down on.

The rest of the service consisted of the offering prayer requests, and making announcements. One of the elderly lades stood up and told the church that she is now the proud great grandmother of twin boys. God help that mother. She is going to need it!  

I was reading the pamphlet I was given at the door and I noticed the term “homebound”. Now reflecting on it I more clearly realize what it means, but to begin with, I did not interoperate it as people that are so ill that they can’t leave their house. When I first saw this term, my impression was that this list of people had passed away.  How I made this connection was the fact that the praise “being called home” Is often said in relation to a person that has just died. Hence my impression of the term “homebound”.

One of the last things that happened was a announcement that one of the church members new baby granddaughter was just baptized recently in their church.  I personally grew up in a family that baptized me as a baby, and I have no issue with it. But I have been to other places and talk to some people who highly disagree with it. I have even encountered one lady that had enough gumpf to tell me my baptism was “illegitimate”. Which I think is bull-shit and deeply hurtful.
But it still got me wondering, what does it really mean to be baptized as a baby? Cause as an adult it is a full personal choice to commit one’s self to fallowing Christ. A baby doesn’t have that ability to make that choice or understand it at that time.  So what does it all mean? According to this pastor it means that the parents of the child commit to teaching this child about god and the congregation commits to help be supportive.

The more you know.























No comments:

Post a Comment