Monday, November 11, 2013

Church #9. St. Basil Ukrainian Catholic Church



Ok, so if my count is right this is church number 9 for me and technically my second catholic church. Goodie. :P this is one of those ones that I have been eager to go to just for the sheer size and large domed roof.
I got there in good time, did my regular sit at the back and get out the note pad type deal. The place was pretty big, lots of seating space on the floor and even more up on the sides of the building with the attached balconies.  Walking in the door this place was immediately familiar to me with the strong sent of incense used in worship.  Went to a Ukrainian orthodox summer camp as a kid, and in all honesty the services were almost identical.  The only noticeable thing that I really saw to be different was the acknowledgement of the pope in the prayers and some nuns.
When we all stood up to start the worship there was a pleasant surprise. Church bells. The big loud bellowing kind that one would think to be in old cathedrals, I like it, was a nice touch. I counted 80-100 people-ish. Almost everyone was retirement age with a few exceptions. Once again, a church with beautiful art. Including a massive Greek style tile mosaic on the wall directly in front of us with Christ on the cross displayed on it. Seen below this monstrous wall of art was 30 feet worth of 7 foot high gold gates running along the front of the church all mounted with framed images of  a variety of important figures from the bible. ( be honest with ya, I couldn’t tell you the identity of a single one. Lol. )
This church is a good place for someone that just needs the world to be quite. And on this particular Sunday that is exactly what I needed ( I was still recovering from the party the  night before.) But if anything my hands were busy, and if they were not partying then they were over to my side taking notes. I had allot of questions in the service, A LOT. So let’s get this list rolling.
#1. There was a piece of art at the front of the church with Moses and the burning bush , which seemed odd to me because you have Moses on the ground laying there freaking out while inside the bush there is a image of Madonna and child. I know what you’re thinking…. How the heck did Mary and baby Jesus get in there? The explanation I got apparently has to do with some old long standing practice and the split of the church etc. And apparently somewhere in the bible they mention merry to be “like the burning bush”. I will let you know in my readings when/if I see it.
There was a lot of talk about merry in this service including the fact that there was a quote brought up in the service saying “o a virgin before childbirth, a virgin in childbirth, and still a virgin after the childbirth”. How the hell dose that work? According to father Mark it is all true, Mary experienced no pain in this child birth and her hymen was not broken. I’m quoting the priest here. Lol. But if any of this is even half true it must seriously be an act of god. :P
There was also mention of the death of Joseph on the service today, talking about how Jesus as a boy needed to be strong even in witnessing his father’s death. I remember asking about this in bible camp and from what I gather, Joseph is there when he is born and thru part of his childhood and then just drops out of the picture, so people just assumed he died. I also remember asking about Mary’s death and both summer camp and this church basically gave me the same answer; she “fell asleep in the lord” and suffered no pain.
And as if we haven’t talked about dear Mary enough I have one last tidbit for ya. Ok so Mary is sometimes referred to as the root of Jessie. Apparently this was her great grandfather or something, and he is not really mentioned in the bible. The only reason this Jessie dude is important is that he is a descendent of King David, which apparently is a big deal. Not all sure why, but it’s a big deal. :P I know reading thru mark they always refer to Jesus as the “son of David”  meaning that King David was one of his far back ancestors.  (Which according to Farther Tim at summer camp is not 100% true, if you look back apparently Jesus descended from David’s brother? I think? And not actual King David himself.)  
Next thing was the girl’s choir. so it was 8 girls between 8-11 years old and they had an interesting uniform for sure. They had little capes, in baby blue and they were wearing veils, mid back length with a blusher attached. ( I sell wedding dresses for a living, that’s how I know this stuff) . I inquired about the colour and apparently blue represents Mary, I asked why and apparently it just dose. So fact of the day, Mary’s favorite colour was blue and that’s how she rolls :P . But what can I say I have always been a purple girl myself. lol.
They were led out by an order of nuns, and I am told that this particular bunch on nuns was from the order of the Sister Servants of Mary the Immaculate. Better known as SSMI for those of you those are nun-knowledgeable.
Final note, took communion, the wine was real, and white???? First time I have seen that one. The bouquet was robust and had lovely fruity after tones.   Yes I am  well aware it might be a sin to analyze the flavor of the wine used in communion, but I was trained to be a pastry chef at one point so what do you expect?
Stay tuned for next week when I visit my first Tao Buddhists temple and I’m bring some of my friends along for the ride! J

No comments:

Post a Comment